So, since you’re cooped up at home, you might have seen this particular drink going viral on social media. It’s a cup of fresh milk and then the person would pour some frothy coffee on top, almost like a reverse latte, if you will. It’s the creamy drink that looks delicious AF and is known as Dalgona coffee.
It was made popular on TikTok and soon began to spread all over other social media platforms. Basically, the drink is actually made up of a layer of fresh milk then topped with a thick, creamy layer of coffee foam. This coffee foam is made by mixing instant coffee (any brand), sugar and water.
However, if you’re not a coffee fan then fret not, because you can also make the Milo version. It’s really easy as all you need is:
- 2 tablespoons of Milo
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon of ovalette (cake stabiliser)
- Ice cubes
- Fresh milk (use the carton ones!)
- A cup/glass
- An egg beater/whisk
1. Put the Milo, sugar, hot water and ovalette* into a cup then use the whisk to whip it until it forms a thick, creamy froth (you can use a spoon or fork to do the beating but it is much easier with a whisk as you need to whip it 400 times)
2. Put ice cubes and pour the necessary amount of milk into your glass
3. Pour the creamy foam on top of the fresh milk and you’re done!
* The ovalette is the key to creating the creamy Milo foam and can usually be found in baking shops. A search online shows that Quick 75 or condensed milk can also be used as a substitute but results may vary.
Now, all you have left to do is decorate your drink! You can add a fancy straw, sprinkle some Milo powder on top or even drizzle some syrup to make it look barista-worthy. For the coffee version, just take out the ovalette and substitute the Milo for any kind of coffee powder.
— 리사 (@lliyssaa) March 21, 2020
Who knows, you may not need to visit any cafes after the Restricted Movement Order is over!